Wednesday, September 25, 2002

This scares the crap out of me. Apparently, the Luddites are targeting the Transhumanist movement. This is the dumbest and most dangerous thing that I've ever heard, from the species point of view.

If we meet other intelligent species in the future, and we will, you can bet that they have probably had a long long history of optimizing their genetic code. The question is, are we going to be their bitch? Some species are better adapted for certain environments. And they might have engineered themselves to be better adapted to our environment than we are.

We can make ourselves better without turning into Gattaca or Nazi Germany. I think it's possible. I don't think we'll ultimately have any choice in the matter. Or the choices may be taken out of our hands, by superior slimy tentacles.

Ultimately, I'm for humanity. And any sane and rational human being would be too. I was born with a genetic birth defect, and the possibility that genetic therapy could keep my descendents from inheriting that birth defect is a great comfort to me. Luddites be damned.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home