Tuesday, May 17, 2005

So, ate pizza with my friend Allen tonight, and my wonderful wife. A good time was had by all. Except the pizzas. They went into our bellys. (Allen likes the remix I did for his track, depths of the ocean. It's called Involution Ocean, and hopefully it'll be out on his online label soon, along with the other remixes. {Incidentally, and I didn't tell Allen this, but there are a few points in my remix where I actually took his entire track and compressed it down in time until it was a two or three second blip, and then applied various effects to the blip, thus sampling his entire track at one fell swoop. This amuses me immensely, for some reason.}) Afterwards, back to our place where Allen showed me stuff about Ableton Live, and I showed him some stuff about Orion Platinum and the Crystal software synthesizer.

Also, if you go here, you will find a track called Ice Nine, done by yours truly, under the name emergent. More than likely, most of the stuff I release as emergent will be of a similar ambient mood or tone, some with more processed and dubby types of beats, and some, like Ice Nine, complete beatless ambience.

It's probably not everyone's cup of tea. Some of you may even find it a little dissonant. But if you play it in the background, kind of low, while you're doing something else, and try not to listen to it, I think you may find that you actually enjoy it. Music as atmosphere.

My empage is not pretty, but it's functional. That's really all I can ask for at this time.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

it will be out very soon. as soon as i can get the other remixers in gear (or away from their gear as it were) and to get me something. and you neglected to tell me what is probably the coolest thing i have ever heard of anyone doing in a track yes.

and it was super fun hanging out last night.

8:35 AM  
Blogger munkee girl said...

Sorry, dear, I think I'm not deep enough to truly appreciate your music. It is nice in the background, though. Maybe you should throw in some German rap artist and/or German romantic comedy samples. Heh heh.

Pizza...ain't nothin' wrong with that!

10:43 AM  
Blogger Peter said...

Well, I'm glad some of you tried enjoying it as background atmosphere. That's really kind of the purpose of most of my ambient music. It's the stuff that I write when I can't sleep at night, the stuff that I try to induce delta waves, you know.

My next track will be a little more engaging. Just as atmospheric, but there will be more 'stuff' going on.

Probably still not Kat's cup of tea, but that's ok.

And yeah, Allen, it was a blast hanging out. I forgot to tell you about the squish-sampling thing. I had the idea when I was thinking about sampling methodologies, microsampling, clicks and cuts, etc. and I just thought to myself "Why not sample EVERYTHING?"

7:09 PM  
Blogger munkee girl said...

And that *is* okay...I'm not denying Pete's genius, just saying I can't appreciate it completely. Still fun listening to new stuff, though. Keep it comin'.

11:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home