Thursday, April 13, 2006

The song Belong by REM almost always makes me cry, if I'm alone. Electrolite always makes me smile kind of wistfully.

I never met Wesley Willis, or got a headbutt from him. I feel kind of diminished knowing that.

I, despite loving some very wierd shit as far as music is concerned, adore some very simple, hummable music, like REM, the Beach Boys, Radiohead, Wilco, the Beatles.

I haven't been to see my father's grave in far far too long.

I start way too many songs, and finish far too few. I'm working on that.

I get the 'Spring Blues,' as I like to call it, when other people get the Winter Blues. I think it's because I like cool weather and hate sweating.

I have never been to the Pacific Northwest. I think I'd really love it. But it's really far away. I really hate travelling, the process, but I love being in other spaces.

I used to get lost for fun in High School. That perhaps not the smartest thing to do in Little Rock, but it was fun.

I'm friendly with people in their 20s and younger, but I really think a lot of them, especially those younger than, say, 25, are ALIENS. Seriously. These people think in profoundly different ways than people in their 30s. I find this disconcerting at time (since I work retail and am in constant contact with these youngsters).

Sometimes I love my wife so much it scares me. It's mostly at night when she's asleep, and I start obsessing about life.

I have a habit of going to Wikipedia to see what famous people have died today.

I find it hard to get to sleep without drinking a glass of milk. But milk makes me go pee late at night. So I almost always have to go pee about 30 minutes after I go to bed. It's annoying, but I'm learning to deal with it.

I'm trying to eat more salmon.

I've always thought tattoos were crazy-stupid, but lately I've been thinking about getting two small ones. One would be a chinese dragon. The other would be a monkey. They'd both be on my back. But I probably will never get them. They'd probably look really cool on some version of me much cooler than myself.

I'm really not that concerned with how uncool I am. Most of the time.

I think elaborate henna on hands and feet is really really sexy and cute.

I'm really bad about calling friends to hang out. It's not that I try to be all out of touch. It's just that when I get home I hate going anywhere else. I'm a homebody.

I'm pretty sure I've never eaten rhubarb.

I love the flavor of rosemary.

I love the smell of bay rum soap. I also love the smell of sandalwood and patchouli (just a little bit) and ylang ylang all mixed together. I really like the smell of cedar too, but when I've smelled 'Aspen' it doesn't really smell like how I'd like it to smell.

I've been working on a far future continuity series of stories for about 10 years now. I'm really nowhere near being done. But I really want to write it all out. It's crazy big.

I used to be a kind of what I'd call a born-again Episcopalian back in high school, before I really started reading any Biblical exegesis and such. I'm kind of embarressed by that now. The fervor of my faith was quite juvenile. This can't help but color my perceptions of others' faiths to this day. These days I'm a non-specific Mahayana Buddhist. Zen is neat, but I love the story of Padmasambhava converting all the local demons and gods of Tibet to serve the Dharma. It doesn't have to be literally true to have truth in it.

Sometimes I think about the fact that my cat Molly is getting older, and that I will in all likelihood outlive her by a great deal, and I begin to miss her already. It's a very bittersweet feeling.

I still think George Lucas is a freakin' idiot, and totally didn't get the genius of the Star Wars story that he himself created. Sometimes I have these crazy gnostic fantasies about George Lucas, like the George Lucas we know today is not the real George Lucas, but this charlatan who has somehow taken over his life.

There are very few people I really miss from high school. Among them are Dan Huff, Melody Myers, Aaron Smith, and Erin Albertson. I've really lost contact with almost all of them. If any of you see this, drop me a line, ok?

3 Comments:

Blogger Ken said...

Best post ever. Makes me want to copy and do the same. So very much in the moment of when you were writing it. Very Peter. Keep it up. Though you do sound like you're searching...wish I could help...

7:23 PM  
Blogger Peter said...

Unexamined life not worth living and whatnot, you know?

I just sat down and it came out.

9:48 PM  
Blogger Peter said...

I've had like no luck with any people from high school on there. But there's a lot of people from my work on there now.

12:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home