Saturday, April 09, 2005

Score!

So, I found the coolest thing at a garage sale today. I found a Mixman DM2 for $6. $6! They go on Ebay for anywhere from $25 to $75.

What makes this so cool is that it allows me to switch loops on and off, literally at the touch of a button. Very cool. It's a very neat and cheap tool for live performance, which is what I'd like to do eventually, should I ever get my hands on a laptop. And it's USB, so no futzing with MIDI cables. There's even a relatively thriving community that's using these things for far more than they were ever designed for. First learned about it on EM411, of course, quite some time ago.

So, yeah, I'm stoked.

Mowed the weeds, and the wife and I went to Lowes and got various plants and herbs and gardening things. Then I made some kickass cajun catfish. She said it was the best catfish I'd ever made. Here's the secret. First, make sure the catfish is fresh. That's important. Then, make a wash out of eggs, minced garlic, and some buttermilk. Soak the catfish in it. Then dredge it through a little flour, corn flour, and cajun seasonings. Then LIGHTLY pan fry it in just a little little little bit of olive oil in a nonstick pan. It doesn't take much. It ends up being light and flaky, moist without being greasy. Very good.

Speaking of using/reusing things beyond their intended purpose, if you're not aware of, you should be, of two magazines. The first is Readymade, and the second is relatively new, called Make. Both are incredibly cool, if you're into subverting the mindless consumer culture of America by being smart, thrifty, handy and resourceful.

3 Comments:

Blogger Hawaiian Radiation said...

You know, if I had known that you wanted a DM2, I could have given you one for free. I bought it, and then realized that I enjoyed using the keyboard more for some reason, so I never used the DM2 controller except for that effects toggle switch thingy. Actually, I'm not even sure where my DM2 is now.

I had no idea there was a community built around the thing. I'll have to check that out.

8:49 AM  
Blogger Peter said...

Yeah, it's an amazingly versatile little thing. Much more than a toy.

6:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Friend! You have a great blog over here!
Please accept my compliments and wishes for your happiness and success!
If you have a moment, please take a look at my make money using the internet site.
Have a great day!

2:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home