Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Yet more of what my in-laws would probably claim is a liberal rant:

Over on metafilter there's a thread about how the Bush administration essentially tried to give Governor Blanco an ultimatum, to try to gain Federal control over New Orleans, which would have certain fringe benefits eventually for Bush's corporate cronies.

Here's the blog the thread links to. I find it very interesting.

Impeach the lot of them, I say. This is profoundly criminal. The next time I hear a Republican spewing about 'state's rights,' 'integrity' or 'family values' I'm going to vomit. I'd vote for a zombie FDR at this point. Hell, even a zombie Harry Truman, as long as he kept his mits off my brain.

End rant.

In other news, I'm reading this cool book by S. M. Stirling, the guy who wrote the Draka Series, called the Protector's War. It's set in an alternate universe in 2006 where, for some as yet unstated reason, some massive worldwide catastrophe in 1998 called 'the Change' essentially destroyed all electronics. Maybe a massive solar flare. Who knows? Anyway, it's a neat kind of near future, post apocalyptic sort of quasi-medieval romp. Dark, gritty, but very very interesting and believable.

In other news, my wife and I are going to go see Ravi Shankar at the Walton Arts Center. How cool is that?

Oh yeah, and this is a cool flash game (but very hard) about a ninja. I suck at it, but it's kind of fun, in a stick figure ninja sort of way. Found on metafilter.

3 Comments:

Blogger Natalia said...

Again with the links I am drawn to clicking on... ick... stop... need to work.

-N

9:59 AM  
Blogger Peter said...

I can't say I really disagree with anything there Mike.

I was thinking this is criminal bungling, but the more I heard about what FEMA was actually doing (cutting emergency lines to the police, keeping out emergency supplies that they hadn't vetted, etc.), coupled with the Fed's mafiosolike shakedown of the Governor, I'm inclined to believe that they saw this as an opportunity, and are evil fucking bastards.

If the Republicans aren't voted out in the next congressional election I fear I may have a stroke.

And of course, the spin machine is already trying to blame the locals. "Oh, the locals should have asked for help." They did. The Mayor declared a state of emergency. So did the Governor. They requested Federal help. On national television. More than once.

The fact that the administration's talking heads are not FROM THE VERY START saying "You're right, all the big boys (and girl) were on vacation, this guy we've got running FEMA is an idiot, and we really fucked this up" just shows that they're at the very least not straight shooters, and certainly not the stand-up kind of people who would actually take responsibility for their screw ups.

12:46 PM  
Blogger Peter said...

"When Wal-Mart sent three trailer trucks loaded with water, FEMA officials turned them away, he said. Agency workers prevented the Coast Guard from delivering 1,000 gallons of diesel fuel, and on Saturday they cut the parish's emergency communications line, leading the sheriff to restore it and post armed guards to protect it from FEMA, Aaron Broussard, president of Jefferson Parish, south of New Orleans, said." --NYT

1:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home