Monday, August 29, 2005

When I was in high school, I became fairly obsessed with the Dune novels by Frank Herbert. I loved how philosophical they were, and how the story, while enthralling, was about more than simply plot. It was about subtle ideas about society, religion, power and the nature of humanity.

Anyway, there was an amazing book about Frank Herbert in the Jacksonville High School library, titled simply "Frank Herbert." It's out of print now, but the author has an online version here. It's well worth reading if you liked the series.

3 Comments:

Blogger Natalia said...

Was that the ones they made into a movie in the 80s? Is it the same thing I am thinking about? I was too young to remember much but one scene stuck with me...there was this dude who trapped roaches in this glass and squeezed them into roach juice, which he then drank... icky stuff. Am I even remotely close?

-N

10:32 AM  
Blogger Peter said...

Yep. That was one of the Harkonens. They were the bad guys.

Great stuff.

11:24 AM  
Blogger dj said...

I'll always have fond memories of Peter Puppy in "Earthworm Jim" repeatedly, and rapidly, chanting "I must not fear. Fear is the mindkiller. Fear is the little death that brings total oblivion."

Thank you Frank Herbert.

6:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home