Wednesday, February 01, 2006

So, I have a recommendation. Clint's flickr forays led me into exploring flickr, which has led me to amalthya, otherwise known as Laura Darby. Laura is spending some time in Equatorial Africa, doing work with chimpanzees. Which appeals to me for obvious reasons. So yeah, I greatly admire what she's doing, and think that her words and her photos are often quite compelling. Check it out.

Also, there seems to be some crazy stuff going on where she is in the DRC, so she might be leaving there soon. Scroll down and read her post about 'evacuation'. Nerve wracking, but interesting.

Also, in other news, Matisyahu, which monkeegirl referenced in the last post's comments, is on the Late Show tonight, with Craig Ferguson. Pretty cool. I prefer my reggae to be a bit more roots and bit less 'chant down Babylon' stylee, though.

2 Comments:

Blogger dj said...

Mat. is interesting, but I got burned out on him last year. Then again, I got burned out on reggae about five minutes after watching some local band perform. The reggae in Jamaica is literally over a thousand miles of difference. And, since we're talking about obscure bands....

http://www.amadou-mariam.com/

Amadou & Mariam, a married blind-couple from Mali, who make some really nice, easy-going African pop.

8:25 AM  
Blogger Laura Darby said...

Thanks, Melissa! :)

8:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home