Sunday, October 29, 2006

I am reading two books. The first, the Ghost Map, by Steven Johnson, is about the cholera epidemic that hit London in the 19th century, and how this in some ways brought about the modern era of medicine.

The second, Rainbow's End, is by Vernor Vinge, one of my favorite authors. It's sci fi set in the midish 21st century. It's interesting so far, but I've been distracted by the Ghost Map too much to really get into it yet. But what I have read is intensely interesting.

I've been thinking about this a lot lately, the Singularity. I think it's the thing that I hope for and fear the most, at the moment. I really believe that in a hundred years there will be a total discontinuity between our present world and the future, and that things will either be rather utopian, or civilization will be, for all intents, destroyed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home